The January 2020 New Orleans Writers’ Residency will take place from January 12 to February 8 of 2020. To apply, submit your application below. The application fee is $25, which helps to cover airfare and stipends for the residency recipients. Six writers will be chosen from the pool of applicants, who will receive:
- Airfare paid for up to $350 (we welcome international applicants, but be aware that if your ticket costs more than $350, you’ll need to pay the difference)
- Four weeks free lodging in our cozy three-person shared rooms.
- A weekly stipend of $200
- A welcome dinner on the first night of the residency
- Continental breakfast served Monday through Saturday from 9am to 11am
- Laundry done every weekend, if you need it
- A weekly excursion to interact with different groups of local writers
- Weekly one-on-one meetings with the director
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2019. Decisions will be announced by December 7, 2019.
Fees. After submitting your application, you will be taken to a payment page where you will be able to submit your $25 application fee. You’re application is not complete until your fee has been received. If you already have submitted an application but have not paid, you can go to the payment page now.
Writing Sample Guidelines
Prose: Please submit a piece of writing up to 4000 words in length double spaced, in standard manuscript format. Shorter than 4000 words is fine.
Poetry: Please submit no more than 5 poems totaling 4000 words or less between them.
Plays and Screenplays: Please submit a script, or excerpt in standard screenplay format of no more than twenty pages.
- Use standard fonts (12 pt Times New Roman or Courier) and margins.
- Paginate and include your name in the headers.
- Please save your document as .pdf or .doc.